The NodeMCU AMICA build is likely the easiest to build.
- 1x NodeMCU AMICA
- 1x Box (optional)
- 1x DS18b20 probe, 1 meter, + resistor, where resistor needs to go from D2 till VCC. The signal cord (yellow) from temperature probe go also till D2, and power (red) till VCC. GRD (black) goes till GRD.
- 1x MPU6050 where VCC till 3V3, GRD till GRD, SCL=D5, SDA=D6 is connected accordingly till NodeMCU
- 1x Ballon (12cm version fits AMICA box, or just use tape for simplicity or normal ballons.)
In Europe the AMICA version (except Box and they do not sell resistor single wise) can be brought from AZ-delivery.
The normal NodeMCU (LOLIN) is slightly bigger, and can also be used, but becouse of the bigger size we do not reccomend them as they get just to big for S-airlock according to our experiance. But if you got some lying around, try it out.
By modded means the legs D7, D8, RX, TX must be removed or otherwise ensured hold not connections at all till MPU6050. Regarding the box and ballon, both can be seen as optional, same is the temperature probe if you measure temperature by others means.
In the portal mode you can set the sensitivity or treadshold when a bubble should be detected. This is needed based on your airlock, tightness of airlockholder and fermenter, eg. your setup. Box version of AMICA should have 3 till 6, and I find 4 to be best. But you can finetune if needed to remove double blops or if you loose any.
Uploading the software NodeMCU AMICA
Download below file containing esptool.exe + bin-file + 2 “Window batch files” and extract in “your” folder:iBLOPPER_ver1.3 (27 downloads)
Bin-file updated 28 July till 1.3 to update wifimanger, to handle better logon, save, and stability. Please Update.
- Install CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers, if not already done. If you played with Arduino IDE and NodeMCU before you most likely have done this before.
- Ensure NodeMCU is pugged into USB.
- Go to “Devices” (e.g. use win10 search and write “devices”).
- Under “Ports” in Devices. Notice this USB port number for “CP210x USB to UART”!
- Edit the “Window batch file” named “SETUP_USB_COMX” to reflect the port you using (eg. change the port number ONLY: “
esptool.exe --chip esp8266 --port COM4 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size detect 0x0 iBLOPPER_v1.1.bin“)
- Hit and run the “Window batch file” named “SETUP_USB_COMX”
- Now the iBLOPPPER software get installed.
If something goes wrong you can erase everything after editing accordingly as above by running “Erase_USB_COMX” (
esptool.exe -p COM4 -b 115200 erase_flash).
If updating to new build and/or making use of an NodeMCU from earlier project, ensure to erase everything as else you will get instability issues.
Secondly, always pull the power from iBLOPPER after installing before setting it up.